Title: Composting and Food Waste Reduction Intern
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Term: 1 part-time position at 21 hours per week
Application Deadline: 11:59 a.m. CDT Monday, May 3rd, 2021. **NEW – DEADLINE EXTENDED
Green Action Centre seeks an independent, energetic and well-organized individual to join our waste reduction team.
This position will assist the Composting team at Green Action Centre by creating resources and engaging with the public around methods of composting and reducing food waste.
Green Action Centre is an environmental, non-profit organization based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools and communities. Our primary areas of focus are green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which collects commercial and residential organic waste in Winnipeg. We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown, and are part of the EcoCentre on the 3rd floor of the Mountain Equipment Co-op building. The EcoCentre is located on Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
In collaboration with the Composting and Food Waste team, the Intern’s duties and responsibilities will include:
- Schedule and deliver school based and community presentations and workshops
- Attend displays and community events (compliant with health regulations)
- Support preparation of materials for Master Composter Course
- Researching food waste & recycling topics
- Development of resources, such as surveys, a recycling database, an annotated bibliography for retail food waste, and/or an Indigenous community composting resource.
- Develop, from existing materials, interactive virtual presentations
- Deliver basic composting presentations
- Prepare and post material on the website related to composting and food waste, including developing and updating publications, program resources, blog posts, and other web content
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- A combination of education and/or work experience with composting and food waste reduction
- Experience working collaboratively, specifically at the community level and/or with non-profits
- Able to clearly communicate ideas in writing to a general audience (e.g. through blog posts)
- Basic research skills
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking, and with presentations and displays
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to create compelling and well written materials for various audiences
- Active knowledge and comfort with the use of WordPress and social media
- Comfortable with cloud-based computing (i.e. Google Drive; Zoom)
- Above average attentiveness to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player
- Organized, deadline driven and excellent time management skills
- Able to work independently
- Experience in or knowledge of Community Based Social Marketing
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Knowledgeable about rural/northern Manitoba communities
- Knowledge of local and provincial sustainability and environmental issues
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Self-driven and proactive; goes the extra distance to get something done
- Professional, punctual, and reliable
- Positive, values driven; inspires others and actions reflect our mission
- Innovative, resourceful and focused on solutions
- Position is based in Green Action Centre’s office at 303 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic this position is currently working remotely and on site as needed.
- Regular office hours, with some evenings and weekends required in times of heavy deadlines or for special events (following public health guidelines).
- Must be comfortable working in an open office environment and spending significant time at a desk and on a computer
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
- Indigenous, Black, People of Colour
- Immigrant or refugee
- People with disabilities
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Position & Application Details
Term: Anticipated start date of May 31, 2021 until end of August, 2021. This position reports to the Compost team lead.
Please Note: This is an anticipatory position pending funding approval. Due to the nature of the funding for this position, applicants must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age inclusive as of May 3, 2021
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or under refugee protection
- Legally entitled to work in Manitoba
- Not an international student (recent immigrants are eligible if you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident)
Remuneration: $15/hour, at 21 hours per week. Green Action Centre provides a flexible schedule, includes a Winnipeg Transit EcoPass (or financial equivalent for walking/biking) as part of our “Active Transportation Benefit” policy.
Deadline: 11:59 a.m. CDT Monday, May 3rd, 2021.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Compost and Food Waste Intern” in the subject heading. Applications will be accepted until the deadline by email only. Please note in your application whether you meet the eligibility criteria as listed above.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
For more information on Green Action Centre and our programs, please explore our website at www.greenactioncentre.ca.