Green Action Centre seeks Project Coordinator for Living Green Living Well Program
Term: This is a one-year term, at 4 days (28 hours) per week, with a flexible work schedule and the liklihood of renewal.
Position Description: We are seeking a self-directed, energetic and organized individual to coordinate our Living Green Living Well (LGLW) program. The LGLW Coordinator is responsible for increasing our overall profile and actively engaging the community to live green. This includes sustainable living messaging and activities through public awareness and education campaigns such as Waste Reduction Week, Plastic Free July, Earth Day, and other targeted campaigns; community presentations and displays; outreach to and collaboration with stakeholders from a variety of sectors, including business and community organizations on current and time sensitive environmental topics and issues; assisting with policy work; and engaging the general public through blogposts, webinars and other public engagement opportunities.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental, non-profit based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our primary areas of focus are healthy and green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown and part of the Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building.
We need someone who is keen, capable and who has the initiative to make things happen. The Living Green Living Well Coordinator plays a key role in our efforts to increase our public profile and broaden our community impact. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works collaboratively with the Office Coordinator and other Green Action Centre program staff.
Responsibilities: The Living Green Living Well Coordinator develops, implements, monitors, and reports on program activities. More specifically, the Coordinator has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Research, prepare and post material on sustainable living topics and environmental policy for the Living Green Living Well area of the website.
- Plan and implement targeted, themed public awareness and education campaigns, such as Waste Reduction Week, Earth Day and Plastic Free July, to encourage public action and corporate sustainability.
- Develop and implement a public education series for Green Action Centre that feeds into and builds on planned campaigns and other opportunities. For example, film screenings, webinar viewings, guest speakers, etc.
- Collaborate with the Office Coordinator to maintain a marketing, communications and outreach calendar, including editorial content contribution for the website and coordinating social media content.
- Curate, promote and deliver presentations on sustainable living topics to workplaces, community groups, and at public events in conjunction with other program staff.
- Support Green Action Centre’s policy committee, including coordinating meetings, recording and distributing minutes, and ensuring the presence of policy-related content in public communications, such as the website, e-newsletter and social media.
- Seek and develop relationships and joint initiatives with community and business groups and other stakeholders through participating in meetings, networking and community events. For example, the LGBTQ* Chamber, Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, Bike Week Winnipeg, and campus sustainability offices.
- Prepare project proposals and reports for submission to the Executive Director, and maintain project lists, records and contacts.
- Manage project budget, including regular review of project revenue/expenses and tracking of project expenses to ensure they are within approved project budgets.
- Represent Green Action Centre on Manitoba’s Climate Action Team, assisting with event planning and communication.
- Contribute to the overall objectives of the organization including staffing displays, supporting key Green Action Centre events, attending regular staff meetings and routine office tasks.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications gained through a combination of formal education and related experience
- 2-4 years of experience in public outreach and/or creative communications program delivery
- Experience with media, interviews, public speaking and/or presentations
- Success in developing strategic partnerships and/or building networks
- Experience working with the public and organizing events and activities
- Proficient in MS Office, desktop publishing, the Adobe Suite and experience with WordPress or similar content management system desired
- Experience in budgeting and reporting
- Experience and comfort with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Basic research skills
- Basic graphic design and photography skills considered an asset
- Bilingual (English/French) candidate an asset
- Knowledge of local environmental and sustainability issues, and a demonstrated commitment to the practices of sustainable living
- Experience with or knowledge of Community Based Social Marketing
- Email, phone, web and social media etiquette
Abilities & Attributes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive work attitude, and collaborative working style
- Friendly, respectful and culturally aware / sensitive
- Organized, professional, and reliable
- Results-focused with strong follow through, excellent time management skills
- Efficient, creative and flexible
- Self-initiating and thrives in an independent working environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data
Physical & Other Demands
- Comfortable working in an open office environment
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required
- Willing to travel on occasion, as required
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
- Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Immigrant or refugee, People with disabilities, LGBT2SQ+
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Application Deadline: 4:00 pm CDT, Weds, August 26th, 2020
Remuneration: $19.75/hour (28 hours/week). A monthly Winnipeg Transit Eco-Pass, or financial equivalent for cycling or walking, is provided through Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy. Health and Benefits Program after 3-month probationary period.
Term Position: The term is for a one-year period, with likely extension subject to mutual agreement between the parties and status of project funding.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted by email only until the deadline. If this opportunity interests you, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Living Green Living Well Coordinator Position” in the subject heading. Submission of a writing sample is also encouraged.
Please note in your cover letter if you are an applicant between 18-30 years of age, which may qualify under the Government Wage Subsidy Employment initiative.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.