Seeking Program Manager for Manitoba’s Road to Resilience: Community Climate Action project
Title: Program Manager, Climate Action Team
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Term: This is a full-time position at 35 hours per week for a 3-year term.
Application Deadline: 12:00 p.m. CDT on May 10, 2021
Reporting: This position reports directly to the Executive Director at Green Action Centre
Manitoba’s Climate Action Team seeks an independent, energetic and results-oriented individual to lead our Road to Resilience: Community Climate Action for a Net Zero Future project
Position Summary: You are an independent, energetic and results oriented individual who can plan, implement and oversee Manitoba’s Road to Resilience: Community Climate Action project. The project will build momentum for climate action in Manitoba and with specific rural and Indigenous communities through education and engagement activities, as well as provide tools and resources for implementing low carbon solutions in those communities.
About Green Action Centre: We are an environmental, non-profit organization focused on providing education and practical solutions for sustainable living. For over 35 years Manitobans have looked to us for information on sustainable transportation, composting and waste reduction, and resource conservation. We are governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff that promote greener living and down to earth solutions related to climate change, healthy mobility, overconsumption and waste reduction for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which provides organic waste collection services for residences, businesses and multi-family dwellings in the Winnipeg area.
We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown, and are part of the Manitoba Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building.
About Manitoba’s Climate Action Team: The Climate Action Team (CAT) comprises a number of established Manitoba-based community organizations that formally came together to take collective action on the biggest issue of our time. The need for bold climate action has compelled us to combine forces to help create the shift necessary for a low carbon future in Manitoba. Partner organizations include Green Action Centre, Climate Change Connection, Wilderness Committee Manitoba, the Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition, and the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives – Manitoba.
The Role & Responsibilities
We need someone who is passionate, positive and extremely capable to help us engage Manitobans in an effort to build climate awareness and climate action. As Program Manager, you work with the Climate Action Team and other identified project stakeholders and oversee the Road to Resilience Community Climate Action project including developing, managing, implementing, monitoring, and reporting on program activities. More specifically, the manager will:
- Provide overall project leadership and coordination of project stream leads, manage the priorities between the different project streams, and work collaboratively with partners, community stakeholders, schools, consultants, industry specialists, government, and others.
- Ensure effective oversight of project activities and compliance with requirements including budget management and financial requirements, contribution agreements, partner agreements, and work plans; work with the Executive Director to ensure timely submission of quality narrative and financial reports.
- Prioritize, implement and/or oversee the activities outlined, and accomplish goals within constraints such as time or costs.
- Attend Road to Resilience meetings, presentations and community events, and be able to speak to the overall project roadmap, objectives and high-level solutions of the project to external stakeholders.
- Lead community engagement activities including communication and outreach with stakeholders in identified communities, planning and coordinating targeted community sessions, and establishing community working groups.
- Create and implement an evaluation framework and tools to track performance results and measurements, including informal and format data, that will demonstrate changes in climate knowledge and climate action.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Urban Planning or other related field, along with 2 years of program manager or project management experience or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Strong familiarity and understanding of Results Based Management or other logic framework; Project management related certification (PMP, CAPM, etc.) an asset.
- Experience with partnership development and working collaboratively, specifically at the community level.
- Strong computer skills including, at minimum, Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience with WordPress and graphic design programs such as InDesign is also desirable.
- Strong familiarity and skills with social media platforms and communications campaigns.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills. Able to handle multiple projects concurrently, multi-task, conform to shifting priorities, demands and tight timelines.
- Strong communication skills and able to communicate clearly, and negotiate issues with a broad range of audiences including industry professionals, clients, internal and external stakeholders, and in various cultural and political settings.
- Experience working with Indigenous and rural communities and advancing Truth and Reconciliation is an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in English are required, including analytical and report-writing capability and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders.
- Able to plan, organize and carry out public engagement such as presentations and events.
- Able to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience and passion for working in the nonprofit industry preferred.
- Bilingual (English/French) an asset.
- Knowledge of local environmental and sustainability issues, and a demonstrated commitment to the practices of sustainable living.
- Experience in or knowledge of Community Based Social Marketing an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong team player, friendly, respectful, and culturally sensitive.
- Results-focused with ability to meet deadlines.
- Efficient, creative, and resourceful.
- Self-initiating and demonstrated ability to think critically and analytically.
- Professional, punctual, reliable.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
- Comfortable working in an open office environment and working remotely (currently working remotely due to Covid-19), requires significant time at a desk and on a computer.
- Light physical labour such as transporting pop up displays, meeting materials, hand-outs, or waste audit and/or compost supplies.
- Regular office hours Monday to Friday, with ability to work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Willing to travel locally within Manitoba, valid driver’s license an asset.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting or cleaning procedures in place at the office
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre and Manitoba’s Climate Action Team are committed to developing a diverse team and are working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
- Indigenous, Black, People of Colour
- Immigrant or refugee
- People with disabilities
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Application Deadline: 12:00 p.m. CDT on May 3, 2021
Remuneration: $45,500 per annum based on a 35-hour work week. Staff also receive a fully subsidized Winnipeg Transit Eco-Pass, or equivalent value for cycling or walking, as part of Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy as well as a Health & Benefits program after 3 months.
To Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com with “Program Manager – Road to Resilience: Community Climate Action” in the subject heading. Applications will be accepted until the deadline only.
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information of Green Action Centre visit our website at: https://greenactioncentre.ca/
For more information on Manitoba’s Climate Action Team visit: https://www.climateactionmb.ca/