Classroom Composting Activities
- Composting Basics and Getting Started
- Composting FAQs
- Composting Paper
- Dealing with Pests in your Compost
- Harvesting/Using Vermicompost
- Harvesting/Using Your Compost
- How to Compost all Winter
- How to Vermicompost
- School Composting Guide
- School Composting Tips
- Vermicompost FAQs
- When to Harvest your compost – Spring or Fall
- Winter composting – To layer or not to layer?
- Why compost at School?
Greening the Classroom. From hands-on projects to personal responsibility, the tips, projects, and concepts outlined in this guide take a community-based approach to learning about environmental issues.
School Services. Composting, biking, walking, professional development. We can help you reach your ESD goals.
Master List of Resources. Ideas for action, hot topics, and ideas on how to live greener. Appropriate for many ages.
Environmental ABC’s. Environment-themed words for every letter of the alphabet.
Greenhouse Gas Review
Packaging Activity Sheet
Plan and Implement Active Travel Programming
- Active and Safe Routes to School in Manitoba: Program Handbook and Resource Guide—Ideas and support to get you started with active school travel and to maintain your progress. Stay tuned for an update!
- BikeWalkRoll—30-second homeroom surveys help you to track your school’s progress and us to understand how students travel to school across Manitoba. A must for school travel programs!
- CounterPoint—Designed to count bicycles, pedestrians and other forms of traffic that often get missed when planning transportation. We are changing that. Get your class involved in counting all the different transportation modes around the school neighbourhood.
- Active Travel in the Manitoba Curriculum—Biking, walking, and rolling integrate into what you are already teaching! Find your subject and get inspired.
- Let Grow Project—This program is free, fast, and simple, and American school administrators are raving about it. It helps children develop independence and resilience through asking their parents for permission to try new things on their own.
Special Events Inspiration
- Walktober Event and Activity Ideas
- Bike to School Month Event and Activity Ideas
- Customizable Walktober Participation Certificate (Powerpoint): English / French
- Track Your Progress Posters
Use stickers to track how students are getting to school each day!
- Bike to School Month and Clean Air Day Tracking Poster
- Walktober / le Mois Marchons vers l’école
- Walk, Bike, and Roll Across Canada—Count your class’s steps or kilometres and set a goal to travel a certain distance across the country
- Neighbourhood Walkability Audit. Take a tour of your community with your class to see how walkable the neighbourhood is.
- Colouring – Design your own bike!
- Colouring – Design your own shoe!
- Colouring – Design your own helmet!
- Colouring – Riding a bike is fun!
- Colouring – It’s Cool to Walk to School
- Colouring – Idle Free Zone