Did you know that adding organics to the landfill produces methane, a greenhouse gas 25x more powerful than carbon dioxide? By composting, you can produce rich garden fertilizer for free at home, and help save the planet to boot! Composting is an easy-to-learn activity that kids can take part in!
Join Kristen Malec, Green Action Centre’s Compost Program Coordinator for info and tips on how to compost at home during this 1 hour online presentation.
The following topics will be covered:
what is composting?
- why composting is important
- compost bin selection and where to place your bins
- what you can and cannot put in your compost bin
- how to maintain your bins (layering greens and browns, turning/aerating the pile, moisture content)
- composting in winter
- common problems and solutions
- when is the compost finished and ready to harvest?
- how to use your finished compost