Are you passionate about creating environmental change?
Green Action Centre is seeking an innovative, collaborative leader with strategic vision to guide our organization and champion green living and environment action in Manitoba.
Date posted: January 12, 2022
Position: Executive Director
Term: Permanent, full-time
Salary Range: $56,420 – $70,070 with health benefits plan
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Application Deadline: February 6, 2022
About Green Action Centre: We are an environmental, non-profit organization focused on providing education and practical solutions for sustainable living. For over 35 years, Manitobans have looked to us for information on sustainable transportation, composting and waste reduction, and resource conservation. We are governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff that promote greener living and down-to-earth solutions related to climate change, sustainable transportation, overconsumption and waste reduction for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our office is located in Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation in downtown Winnipeg, and we are part of the Manitoba Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building. Find more information at: greenactioncentre.ca
Compost Winnipeg—Green Action Centre’s environmentally-driven social enterprise—was officially launched in 2016, with a mission to manage organic waste responsibly and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Winnipeg. It provides fee-based organics collection to residences and businesses, resulting in organic materials being diverted from the landfill. Learn more at: compostwinnipeg.ca
The Role & Responsibilities
The Position: Under the direction of the Board of Directors (the “Board”), the Executive Director is the collaborative leader and chief spokesperson for Green Action Centre and is responsible for the day-to-day management of our highly respected and results-oriented organization. The Executive Director is an experienced professional familiar with the funding and operational challenges common to non-profit organizations and possesses the financial acumen, as well as the strategic and organizational planning skills, to lead the organization and maintain positive relationships with staff, clients, key stakeholders, and the public.
The Executive Director has a passion for positive environmental action and is responsible for the continuing management and administrative functions that are necessary to sustain Green Action Centre’s programs and operations, while ensuring they are consistent with the vision, mission, values, bylaws, principles, and policies of the organization.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
- Develop, manage and evaluate programs consistent with Green Action Centre’s mission and principles and make recommendations to the Board on potential new or expanded initiatives
- Work with staff to identify, develop and prepare project proposals and grant applications
- Maintain existing relationships with staff, government, industry, funding agencies, and other community partners as well as foster new partnerships and collaborations
- Prepare and monitor the annual operating budget for Green Action Centre and ensure that revenue development goals align with the organization’s mission, principles and programs
- Develop, implement and monitor programs of expenditure control, including income and expense accounting, cheque requisitioning and cash flow
- Provide ongoing financial review, annual financial audit preparation, and required corporate reporting as well as identify potential financial issues and recommended solutions
- Ensure that annual returns, insurance premiums, reports, and payments are submitted as required to fulfill CRA and other legal obligations
- Oversee human resource requirements including determining staffing requirements; implementing human resources policies, procedures, and practices; managing recruitment and selection; staff orientation; pay and benefits; performance reviews and management; coaching and mentoring, and taking appropriate disciplinary action if required
- Support professional development and workplace wellness of staff to help maintain high standards in the implementation of organizational activities and the wellbeing of employees
- Create, monitor and regularly report on the strategic plan and annual operating plans
- Prepare and/or provide the Board with relevant and timely information, including project reports, financial reports, official correspondence and notices, as required for Board meetings, the Annual General Meeting and for proper governance
- Ensure Green Action Centre’s social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, is being effectively managed, achieving desired impacts, and maintaining profitability
Knowledge, Experience and Characteristics:
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree in business or environmental studies, or an equivalent combination
- Five years or more in a senior leadership position in a project-based environment
- Knowledge of ecological principles, environmental issues and solutions, and a personal commitment to sustainability
- Non-profit experience, including working with and reporting to a board of directors
- Demonstrated experience building and managing relationships with multiple stakeholders and a proven ability to collaborate
- Strategic thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills and an ability to prioritize in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Advanced financial management skills including experience developing and managing budgets, monitoring cash flow, and success developing new revenue streams
- Knowledge of fund development and proposal/grant application writing and evaluation skills
- Human resource management experience including leading and building cohesive teams
- Highly effective communication and presentation skills, written and oral, and fluent in English
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Proficiency with Microsoft (Word, Excel, etc.) and Google Workspace (Gmail, Calendar, Drive)
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to developing a diverse, inclusive workplace and is striving to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds including racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, gender identification, or physical abilities are encouraged to apply.
Green Action Centre follows and/or exceeds Manitoba Public Health COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. Proof of full COVID-19 immunization is a condition of employment with the exception of acceptable, documented medical exemptions.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and a maximum two-page cover letter outlining how they meet the position qualifications and why they are the ideal candidate to be the next leader of Green Action Centre.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 PM Central February 6, 2022.
To Apply: Email your resume, cover letter and include 3 professional references to ExecSearch@greenactioncentre.ca with “Green Action Centre Executive Director Recruitment” in the subject heading.
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
[Download pdf version]