The Annual Commuter Challenge is Expanding!
The Commuter Challenge has been a staple event for Green Action Centre during the first week of June for over 15 years, and we want to continue to see it grow! This year has sparked a lot of changes in our day-to-day lives, because of this we think this is the perfect year to adapt the Challenge to reach even more Manitobans!
Although we still want you to focus on how you commute, we also understand that people move around the city for all sorts of reasons, whether it be to go shopping, out to the park, or simply just going for a walk; we want to recognize ALL of your trips when they are done sustainably! So no matter where you are going or what you are doing, if you move with any active or sustainable modes of transport, you can log the distances and earn points to win!
This is the perfect way to reconnect with people by enjoying a shared experience and a little friendly competition! It is time to Love ALL Your Trips!
For those that have participated in the Jack Frost Challenge, think of this as the summer version! Get outside, get active and have fun!
How can you participate?
Join for FREE in teams with your workplace, colleagues, friends, families or even individually!
Registration is now open www.commuterchallenge.ca
To participate, registered individuals choose sustainable modes of travel throughout the week of May 31 – June 5, 2021 and log their kilometres online to contribute towards their team totals.
What activities count?
Any active and sustainable modes of travel! Have fun with it!
Here are some examples:
- Going for a walk, run, bike; whether to get somewhere or simply recreationally
- Head over to your favourite park;
- Try taking your bike or bus to get your groceries;
- Telecommuting/Working from Home (you’re helping the environment by just staying home!);
- Change your commute to an active or sustainable mode;
- Go for a jog or bike ride during your lunch break;
- Take the dog (or cat!) for a walk;
- Try out a new sport or activity, like kayaking, golfing, and roller-skating;
- Enjoy a hike;
- And so much more!
We also will be introducing some fun Bingo Cards for you to use that will include activity and challenge prompts for you to enjoy during the week! Stay tuned!