Recycling is an effective way to reduce waste and begin creating a greener workplace. Whether your workplace is a retail store, an office, a daycare or a hair salon, your actions will make a difference.
To get started on office recycling, here are seven simple steps:
- Identify an office recycling program co-ordinator.
- Arrange for pick-up of the materials to be collected.
- Get recycling bins.
- Place the bins in accessible locations.
- Label bins clearly.
- Launch the program.
- Keep momentum through feedback and incentives.
Click here for more information on these seven easy steps.
- Remember that the most effective recycling program is one that considers all four Rs – Rethink, Reduce, Re-use, and then Recycle, in that order. Composting in the workplace is another excellent way to reduce waste. Check out Compost Winnipeg‘s organic waste pick-up service.
- Recycling programs and options vary between communities. In Winnipeg, for example, the municipal recycling program includes single-family residences and multi-family buildings but not business or commercial establishments. Building owners and business managers need to make their own arrangements with recyclers for the collection of recyclable materials.
- Don’t forget the importance of workplace education, so that employees know what can be recycled in the workplace and where to put it so that it does get recycled.
- To close the recycling loop, purchase and use products that are made with post-consumer recycled content, rather than new materials.
- Waste Reduction Week Canada’s resources for businesses
- Canadian Beverage Container Recycling Association’s office program
- Electronic Products Recycling Association (EPRA) Manitoba drop-off locations
- Compost Winnipeg’s commercial organic waste pick-up service