DATE POSTED: 19 February 2020
TITLE: General Manager
EMPLOYMENT: Full-time employment
SALARY RANGE: $45,500 – $57,500 with benefits plan
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11 March 2020, 5PM CST
Green Action Centre seeks a dynamic, self-directed General Manager to lead our social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg. The General Manager must be a team-orientated and innovative leader who collaborates with staff, key stakeholders, and the Board to strengthen operations and services while applying strategic vision for development and growth.
Compost Winnipeg’s General Manager is a leader responsible for overseeing and fostering the growth and sustainability of one of Winnipeg’s fastest-growing social enterprises while maintaining quality service, environmental goals and profitability. In particular, the General Manager will have strategic and financial accountability while leading and managing Compost Winnipeg staff and daily operations. This includes engaging with key stakeholders and potential/existing clients; implementing operations plans and policies; developing and managing budgets; monitoring financials; hiring employees and managing human resources; coordinating with Green Action Centre’s Bookkeeper and Office Coordinator, and reporting to Green Action Centre’s Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Green Action Centre Background
Green Action Centre is a non-profit, non-governmental organization, based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We promote green living through environmental education and practical solutions for households, workplaces, schools and communities. We have a long history of working with Manitobans to identify down-to-earth solutions to climate change with our well-regarded programs focused on green commuting, composting and waste reduction, and sustainable living.
Compost Winnipeg Background
Officially launched in 2016, Compost Winnipeg is an environmentally driven social enterprise with a mission to manage waste responsibly and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Winnipeg by providing fee-for-service organic collections to Winnipeg residents and businesses, thus diverting organic material from the landfill. An estimated 40% of residential and 30% of commercial waste in the landfills is organics, which creates methane, a potent GHG that contributes to climate change. Profits generated by Compost Winnipeg support Green Action Centre’s environmental programs and activities.
As General Manager, you are expected to exemplify integrity, accountability and excellent team leadership skills. You are responsible for the success of day-to-day operations, including meeting environmental goals, profitability and productivity.
- Lead operations, ensuring continual review and improvements to processes, procedures and performance.
- Work to secure adequate funding for growing operations and meeting long-term capital development and expansion goals.
- Ensure a proactive health and safety culture with operations and compliance with regulations.
- Hire, manage and lead staff, including training/coaching, reviewing performance, and disciplining.
- Oversee the management of sales and client accounts.
- Implement the updated business plan, adapting our leadership and operations strategy based on the current development and projected growth of our social enterprise.
- Develop and monitor budgets, monitor monthly financials, and ensure effective implementation of financial policies.
- Implement operational and administrative policies.
- Foster new and existing relationships with funders, government agencies, suppliers, and potential partner organizations to increase the impact of our operations.
- Maintain a high level of service excellence.
- Act as a spokesperson for Compost Winnipeg.
- Oversee the marketing strategy and development of customer recognition program, budget and activities.
- Work with cloud-based software (Zoho and Google platforms) for managing clients and operations.
- Assist with improving and organizing account management systems, and coordination with Accounts Manager.
- Implement and provide oversight of inventory and sales system for compost-related supplies.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Completed post-secondary education in business or environmental studies, or a combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of management experience in service or other industry with responsibility for financial results and customer satisfaction.
- Experience working with the non-profit and/or social enterprise sectors, and passion to create environmental change.
- Knowledge of best practices in human resources; experience leading and developing staff for success, and building a cohesive team.
- Strong organizational management with high attention to detail and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Adaptability and proven ability to problem-solve.
- Highly effective written and verbal communicator with the ability to create and maintain a customer-focused culture.
- Advance financial management skills and proven ability to develop and manage organizational budgets.
- Proven track record of revenue development success through various revenue streams.
- Class 5 driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract
- Experience in the transportation or waste management industries.
- Experience managing fleet vehicles and planning logistics.
- Knowledge of cloud-based software, such as Zoho and Google platforms.
- Knowledge of composting or willingness to learn.
- Strategic thinker, long-term planner and changemaker, able to identify needs, assess opportunities and act on them.
- Collaborative working style with good interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for creating partnerships.
- Good business sense and financial acumen.
- Tech-savvy and comfortable working with emerging technologies.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Committed to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Strong work ethic, punctual, responsible and self-disciplined.
- This position reports to the Green Action Centre’s Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Submit your resume and cover letter to the Compost Winnipeg Hiring Committee via email: email@example.com with “Compost Winnipeg General Manager posting” in the subject heading. Applications will be accepted until 5 PM CST, March 11, 2020. No phone calls, please.
We thank all applicants who apply, however, only those who are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.