Do you have a passion for sustainable transportation? Do you love working with awesome, energetic coworkers? Green Action Centre is the place for you!
Green Action Centre is now recruiting for a Sustainable Transportation Project Coordinator. The ST Project Coordinator is a multitasking individual that oversees our annual commuter events, such as The Commuter Challenge and The Jack Frost Challenge. They work closely with all staff to promote and expand current programs, such as GoManitoba and helps guide our sustainable programming. For more information, read the full Job Advertisment below, and as always, feel free to share with your networks.
Green Action Centre seeks a Sustainable Transportation Project Coordinator
Programs: Commuter Challenge program, Workplace Commuter Options Program
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Term: 9.5 month term at 35 hours per week, with a likely extension beyond July 2019. The position is shared between two sustainable transportation program areas: 3-4 days/wk as the Commuter Challenge Coordinator, and 1-2 days/wk with Workplace Commuters Options.
Position Description: Green Action Centre seeks an independent, energetic and well-organized individual to fill a dual role within our sustainable transportation team. The coordinator will organize and promote our annual Commuter Challenge event in June and our Bougeons en hiver: The Jack Frost Challenge in February. The Coordinator will also assist with the delivery of our Workplace Commuter Options program (WCO), which includes our provincial wide ride-matching tool, GoManitoba. The position will focus on engaging businesses, employees and community organizations to make active and green transportation options both appealing and within reach for workplaces and employees, ultimately reducing Manitoba’s GHG emissions from drive alone travel by increasing walking, cycling, public transit and car pooling as preferred modes of travel for Manitobans.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental, non-profit organization, based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools and communities. Our primary areas of work are green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which collects commercial and residential organic waste in Winnipeg. We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown, and are part of the EcoCentre on the 3rd floor of the Mountain Equipment Coop Building.
Responsibilities: In cooperation with other sustainable transportation team members and Green Action Centre staff, the Coordinator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Commuter Challenge & Jack Frost Challenge:
- Develop a work plan based on the timeline and activities of prior years
- Confirm and recruit Commuter Challenge Planning Partners and chair the planning meetings
- Coordinate and build participation in the Jack Frost Challenge! in February; and recruit and build workplace participation in the Commuter Challenge, including connecting with 300+ participating workplaces
- Build and/or maintain relationships with workplace wellness and/or environmental committees and champions
- Train Commuter Challenge workplace coordinators
- Sponsorship management, both maintaining existing sponsorship relationships, and developing new marketing and partnership opportunities
- Reach out to communities outside of Winnipeg in an effort to increase participation in Commuter Challenge and Jack Frost Challenge in other parts of Manitoba
- Promote Challenge events, including overseeing print and electronic advertising and securing media coverage
- Secure and manage distribution of prizes for participants, including soliciting donations for prizes from local businesses
- Work with event firm to help coordinate logistics for Commuter Challenge key event activities, such as the event media launch and the awards luncheon
- Update related web pages on Green Action Centre’s website
- Work with IT technical support to facilitate smooth functioning of web-based tracking tool for the events, and work to resolve issues arising with workplace registrations and/or individual logging of participation; includes liaise with organizers of the National Commuter Challenge
- Maintain participation and event records and prepare reports for funders and sponsors
- Manage the project budgets and monitor expenses to ensure budget is on track
- Other duties, as assigned
Workplace Commuter Options Program:
- Work with the team to coordinate and deliver workshops, presentations, half-day training sessions and keynote speaker events tailored to workplace ambassadors from a variety of organizations, specifically sustainability, wellness and HR managers; program content focused on Transportation Demand Management (TDM) initiatives, transit tools, bike route planning, site assessment, and behavioral change theory.
- Support the promotion of and increased participation in Green Action Centre’s GoManitoba ridematching app, including contests to increase new users and subscribers, and outreach to workplaces to increase workplaces with sub-sites
- Assist with the delivery and reporting of employee commuting surveys, working closely with workplace representatives and IT consultant
- Staff displays and deliver presentations, including participation in events put on by Bike Week, the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown BIZ, etc.
- Liaise with related workplace committees such as the Downtown BIZ transportation Committee, Workplace Wellness Alliance, City of Winnipeg’s Active Transportation Advisory Committee (ATAC), and Manitoba Network for Healthy Built & Social Environments
- Prepare and distribute a follow up survey for Commuter Challenge workplace coordinators, and respond to information requests
Qualifications: Must be self-motivated, reliable, professional and able to work collaboratively without close supervision. Key qualifications include:
- Knowledge of sustainable transportation (green commuting and active transportation)
- Experience working collaboratively, specifically with community relations and/or with nonprofits, and in delivering on the ground programs
- Experienced in organizing events and creativity in developing ad/media campaigns
- Previous experience and skills in media and promotion
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking and with presentations and displays
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with project management & budgeting
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of WordPress and social media
- Above average attentiveness to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player
- Organized, deadline driven and excellent time management skills
- Knowledgeable about Winnipeg and rural/northern Manitoban communities
- Experience working with non profits
- Able to work independently without close supervision
Term Position: Starts November 2018 and ends July 15, 2019 with likely extension subject to mutual agreement between the parties and the status of project funding. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Remuneration: $19.75 per hour (35 hrs/wk). A monthly Winnipeg Transit EcoPass is also provided as part of Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy.
Deadline: Resume and cover letter must be received by 4:00 p.m. CDT, October 10, 2018.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted until the deadline by e-mail only.
If this opportunity interests you please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Sustainable Transportation Coordinator” in the subject heading.
Please note in your cover letter if you:
- Are a graduate from a post-secondary institution within the last three years; and
- Are between the ages of 15-30
For more information on Green Action Centre and our programs, please explore our website at www.greenactioncentre.ca.
No phone calls, please.