Bike Week Winnipeg starts on June 16 and runs through June 22nd. Join the fun and celebration of “people riding bicycles.”
Bike Week Winnipeg is an expansion of Bike to Work Day in Winnipeg, now in its 7th year. The volunteer organizing committee decided that in 2014 it was time to expand the audience to include everyone that rides a bike rather than just commuters.
Bike Week is a celebration of riding bicycles and it’s for everyone! Whether you ride for recreation, fitness, transportation, sport, or just for fun, if you enjoy riding a bike, Bike Week is for you!
The week of activities will feature a wide variety of bicycle related events for all types riders. There will be a variety of group rides including:
- MEC Build Confidence Ride – group ride for anyone who wants to build their cycling abilities. Good for almost all types of bikes, no pressure and no one gets left behind.
- Bike Path Ride – group ride geared to those who want to ride their bike at a more relaxed conversational pace.
- Art Tour – bicycle to downtown Winnipeg’s most iconic and inspiring works of public art while learning about the works and the artists that created them.
- Biking and Beer tour – ride from downtown to Birds Hill Park and back for a cold beer on a downtown patio.
- Moveable Feast – tour downtown’s most iconic places on bike, while enjoying great eats from five downtown restaurants.
- Strike Bike – a bicycle tour of sites linked to the General Strike of 1919 on the 95th anniversary of “Bloody Saturday.”
There will also be a variety of workshops, yoga in the park, an outdoor spin class, bike polo, bike tune-ups and a criterium race at the Legislature featuring some of Manitoba’s elite amateur cyclists. At the end of the work week (Friday, June 20th) the annual Bike to Work Day will encourage Winnipeggers to ride their bike to work. Stop by any of more than 50 Pit-Stops around the city for a bit of refreshment and comradery. Green Action Centre will have our pit-stop in Juba Park along Waterfront Drive at Bannatyne.
And don’t forget the live entertainment powered by Boomtown Bingo system.
For more information, visit www.bikeweekwinnipeg.com.