July 1 – july 31, 2021
Plastic Free July, a campaign that started in Australia but has now gained traction world-wide, challenges people to think about the plastic they use in their lives and take action to reduce it.
This year, we’re celebrating the 11th anniversary of the movement towards a world without plastic waste!
Will you join us by taking on the challenge?
Why we think it’s important to cut down on plastic use:
- Plastic is made from non-renewable fossil fuels
- Plastic can take up to 1000 years to breakdown, and never fully degrades, remaining in the environment as microplastics
- Plastic bags, bottles, packaging, and straws are the most commonly littered items (cigarette butts holding the first place)
- Plastic ends up in our waterways, polluting our drinking water, harming marine life, and building up in our bodies
our challenge to you
Evaluate what kind of single-use plastics you use in your life (bags, packaging, coffee cups, straws, drink bottles)
Think about ways in which you could move away from using single-use plastics
Commit to making the changes!
What is it?
An incentive to participate in activities to reduce your plastic waste all month long and have fun while doing it.
How to Participate:
There are tons of eligible activities. The more you complete, the bigger the prizes you’ll be eligible to win!
- Sign on to the Plastic Free July Pledge
- Host your own Plastic Free Picnic
- Follow us on social media @greenactioncentre & @planetpantrywpg
- Use reusable items
- & MORE!
How do we win prizes?
Take part in Plastic Free July by playing our #PlasticFreeBingo! Do any one of the tasks on the card, snap a photo, and be sure to tag @greenactioncentre & @planetpantrywpg, telling us how you’re taking on the plastic-free challenge.
Must reside in Manitoba to be eligible to win. Winners will be contacted the first week of August.
Good luck & have fun!
About the Pop-Ups
Green Action Centre and Planet Pantry have partnered to bring you a thought provoking experience that’ll change your relationship with plastic!
Due to COVID-19, the date and time of our locations will be announced a couple days prior to the pop-up, as to not encourage a gathering.
What to Expect:
- Learn about the issue of plastic pollution
- Gain helpful resources and goodies to help reduce your waste wherever you go!
- Bring your questions and leave with actionable ways to help combat the issue!
Spread the word
Share how you choose to reduce on social media by using the event hashtag
Looking to learn more? We’ve got a number of online resources to help you cut down on plastic waste!