Commercial cleaning products may contain synthetic chemicals that are harmful to the environment and human health. That’s why some people prefer to make their own cleaners using simple or “natural” ingredients. These can be just as effective and a lot cheaper. But as with all cleaning compounds, eco-friendly cleaners should be handled with care.
- Remember that home-made cleaning products can also be harmful if ingested. They should be stored safely away from children and pets.
- Use of protective gloves is recommended.
- Combining ingredients such as vinegar and baking soda produces carbon dioxide. Don’t mix or store such products in sealed containers where pressure can build up.
- Before applying a cleaning solution, test in a small hidden area if possible.
- Use cleaners in well-ventilated areas.
- Ensure that compounds are clearly labelled.
- Don‘t mix commercial products with your home-made ones.
- We do not recommend recipes that use ammonia.