Are you a young person interested in environmental issues and wanting to make a difference but don’t know where to start? It may often feel scary growing up in a world that seems to be full of environmental concerns but there are lots of great ways to learn more, get involved and take action! You can have a real and positive impact on communities, schools, families and workplaces. Young people have more influence to change things than you might think!
Plan of action
- Learning about issues and then sharing information with others are powerful ways to help build change.
- Projects take time and energy. Don’t try to do it alone. Gather friends and peers to help you with what you’re trying to do. The more ideas and the more energy, the better! And just think what all their friends and peers could do once they get on board, and theirs, and theirs…
- Often young people set examples for both older and younger generations. This doesn’t mean it’s all up to you, but remember that you can be a source of influence and inspiration.
- People in positions of authority (teachers, employers, parents, elected representatives) are often more willing to hear what you have to say than you might expect, so keep sharing your ideas.
- Small steps make a difference. Be careful not to take on everything at once. A bit at a time tends to be much easier than trying to change the whole world by the end of the day. Start small and build from there.
- It can be difficult for people to make changes in their lives and see things differently. People absorb information and act on it at their own pace. An idea may be resisted the first time it is raised, but it will get people thinking. And when the same idea pops up a third or fourth time, they may finally be ready to accept it. The lesson for activists — be persistent.
Resources for you
Learn more and connect with other young people by checking out the links below of some great environmental organizations. Don’t see a group on the list that you think we should add? Send us an e-mail!
A place to connect, share ideas and information, stay informed and collaborate on projects with other environmental youth in Manitoba.
Learn about the student initiatives in Canada towards environmental sustainability and how you can make a difference.
Join the united front of youth from across Canada tackling the biggest challenge of our generation, the emerging climate crisis.
EYA recognizes youth as assets and leaders in building healthy communities. Find out more about their community driven projects around the world and how you can get involved.
Learn how you can get involved with the collaborative effort between students, faculty and staff at the University of Winnipeg, aiming to make the campus more environmentally and socially sustainable.
A non-profit committed to youth empowerment through awareness and action.
An organization run by youth for youth with the mission of empowering young people in Canada to become active community leaders.