Green Action Centre Seeks Project Coordinator for our Composting Project
Download the job posting (pdf)
Term: This is a one year term, at 28 hours per week, with a flexible work schedule and the possibility of renewal.
Position Description: We are seeking an independent, energetic and organized individual to join our composting team as a Compost Project Coordinator. The coordinator helps to implement the activities outlined in the annual compost workplan and is responsible for delivering school and community presentations on composting and food waste in Winnipeg and Manitoba. The coordinator is also responsible for media relations and engages with media, the public and other stakeholders on composting related activities and issues.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental, non-profit organization based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for homeowners, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our primary areas of focus are green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown, and are part of the Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building.
We need someone who is keen, capable and considerate to join our composting team and help us engage Manitobans in backyard and on-site composting and food waste reduction activities. This will be achieved through educational activities and messaging provided at composting workshops and presentations, events and displays; with publications and on-line resources; through interviews, articles and advertising through mainstream media; by responding to enquiries on our composting helpline; and through partnerships with other organizations. Services are provided to schools, community groups, workplaces and residents.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities: The Composting Coordinator works with the composting team to develop, implement, monitor, and report on program activities. More specifically, the coordinator will:
- Prioritize and implement the activities of Green Action Centre’s Compost project, as outlined in the various annual project workplans and proposals
- Schedule and deliver school based and community presentations and workshops
- Attend displays and community events
- Respond to composting and waste reduction media enquiries
- Prepare proposals, reports and project budgets in consultation with Composting program staff and Executive Director, and ensure activities and expenditures are within approved budgets and workplans
- Prepare and post material related to composting and food waste, including developing and updating publications, program resources, blog posts and other web content
- Develop and maintain relationships with funding partners, government officials, community partners and other stakeholders (through meetings, networking and attending community events).
- Participate in the overall operation of the organization including staffing general displays, attending regular staff meetings and supporting key organizational events
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications gained through a combination of formal education and related experience
- A combination of education and/or experience with composting and food waste reduction
- Experience and ease with engaging media, doing interviews, public speaking and presentations
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out public workshops and events
- Experience preparing and managing project workplans and budgets
- Experience working with children and youth
- Basic research skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience working with non-profits
- Experience with desktop publishing and WordPress
- Experience and comfort with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Bilingual (English/French) an asset
- Knowledge of local environmental and sustainability issues, and a demonstrated commitment to the practices of sustainable living
- Knowledge of composting practices and principles
- Experience in or knowledge of Community Based Social Marketing
- Email, phone, web and social media etiquette
Abilities & Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
- Strong team player; friendly, respectful and culturally sensitive
- Results-focused with ability to meet deadlines
- Efficient, creative and flexible
- Self-initiating and demonstrated organizational ability and planning skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data
Physical & Other Demands
- Comfortable working in an open office environment
- Able to work some evenings and weekends, as required
- Willing to travel on occasion, valid drivers license required
Application Deadline: 4:30 pm Central, Friday, May 6th
Remuneration: $19.75/hour. Staff also receive a Winnipeg Transit Eco-Pass at no charge as part of Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy. The term is for a one-year period, expected to begin June 20, 2016. The term may be extended subject to mutual agreement between the parties.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted by email only until the deadline. If this opportunity interests you, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Composting Coordinator Position” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Explore our website for more information on our organization and programs.