Green Action Centre is recruiting new Board members!
Join our team, make a difference, and help create a more sustainable province
Who We Are:
Green Action Centre (GAC) is a non-profit organisation based in Winnipeg and serving Manitobans since 1985. We have a small professional staff and volunteer membership dedicated to achieving our vision of all Manitobans living green and living well. We support families, schools, businesses and communities by providing practical green solutions. Our primary areas of focus include green commuting, composting, waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. Visit our website at www.greenactioncentre.ca to learn more about our Mission, Principles and Programs.
GAC’s volunteer Board of Directors is a collaborative and welcoming team of up to 12 members based in Manitoba. The Board works with our dedicated staff to ensure we have effective programs and activities that enhance individual and workplace sustainability, and address climate impacts. Our social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, has proven successful with a growing residential and commercial organics collection service which generates revenue for GAC while supporting our organizational mission.
We are seeking new, collaborative and enthusiastic Board members. We want to strengthen our capacity by adding people with additional expertise in policy, governance, fundraising, membership development, technology/IT, and planning and evaluation. Our goal is to also increase the diversity of our team by adding more youth, Indigenous leaders, and people of colour. The monthly time commitment is approximately 4-6 hours, including monthly Board meetings from September-June and committee work. Directors serve for a two-year renewable term, for up to 3 consecutive terms, beginning in June each year at the Annual General Meeting.
As a member of Green Action Centre’s Board, you will:
- help steer the organization to meet the critical challenges and opportunities of developing a more sustainable province and addressing climate change;
- contribute by bringing your unique voice, professional and lived experience to the table;
- help guide the long-term organizational strategic plan, Compost Winnipeg business plan, and annual budget;
- monitor financial performance, progress against goals/objectives, and policy compliance; and
- provide oversight of the Executive Director.
Board members are expected to:
- become a member of Green Action Centre
- support the mission and guiding principles;
- act in the best interests of the membership;
- attend Board meetings and participate in Board activities;
- be an active member on at least one subcommittee of the Board;
- invest sufficient time and interest to prepare for and actively participate in each Board meeting and Committee meeting as required;
- contribute to the Board in a courteous, collaborative, constructive and articulate manner while listening to and respecting the views of others; and
- declare any possible conflicts of interest should they arise.
GAC is committed to creating a workforce and governing board that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals over 18, including applicants from all cultures, abilities and backgrounds, racialized communities, and diverse sexual and gender identities. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and encourage applicants to self-identify if they wish to do so.
To express your interest, please email Nikole Sawatzky (email@example.com) by April 22:
- a letter of interest that outlines your area of expertise and how it meets one of the needs as outlined above, or in an area you feel forwards the vision of GA Centre;
- a statement confirming that you are willing and able to meet the requirements outlined above;
- your CV; and
- your full contact information with telephone, mailing address and email.