Canada is celebrating the 25th annual International Compost Awareness Week with the following message…
For the love of the earth, COMPOST!
We think there’s no better way to sum up composting and its benefits. It’s one of the easiest and inexpensive ways we can make a positive impact on our planet.
This week is dedicated to celebrating composting while encouraging others to get involved. We challenge you to find one action to do in May to spread the word about composting, or to start composting yourself!
Want to learn more about composting?
- Tune into our upcoming online composting workshop series May 5-11! Learn about backyard composting, how to start a composting program at your school, and send in your composting questions to our composting experts during our live Q&A session.
- Check out our large selection of composting resources, anything from backyard composting and vermicomposting, to bin building plans and compost troubleshooting.
Don’t have an outdoor space to compost?
- Learn how to compost indoors with vermicomposting! Here’s an online workshop we recently did in partnership with Manitoba’s Climate Action Team.
- Take a look at our list of community compost bins in Winnipeg.
- Download the ShareWaste app to find folks nearby who are offering the use of their compost bin to others!
Get the family involved!
- Start them young! Composting is an activity that kids can get involved with from a very young age. You can get the kids to help you build a compost bin, turn the compost pile, or harvest the finished compost.
- Here are suggestions for some fun composted related activities for kids!
Get involved in your community!
- Start a compost bin at your community organization, such as your church, community centre, community garden. Here are some tips we have for doing this.
- Become a Master Composter Volunteer! These volunteers are compost ambassadors for Green Action Centre, educating others on the value of composting. The training program is usually offered once a year.
- Help a friend get started composting!
Of course, if you have any questions about composting, contact us by phone at 204-925-3777 (Winnipeg) or 1-866-394-8880 (toll free), or by email at email@example.com