Plastic Free July, a campaign that started in Australia but has now gained traction world-wide, challenges people to think about the plastic they use in their own lives and take action to reduce it.
Our challenge to Manitobans throughout July is to:
- Evaluate what kind of single-use plastics you use in your life (bags, packaging, coffee cups, straws, drink bottles)
- Think about ways in which you could move away from using single-use plastics (click here for some ideas)
- Commit to making changes!
Why do we think it’s important to cut down on plastic use?
- Plastic is made from non-renewable fossil fuels
- Plastic can take up to 1000 years to breakdown, and never totally disappears
- Plastic often ends up in our waterways, which is detrimental to marine life
2019 Plastic Free July Events
Plastic Free July Kick-Off Lunch
Location: The Forks Market Plaza
Letter Writing Evening
Your Community + Eco-Centre
Lord Roberts Community Centre
Interested in hosting a Plastic Free July event? Let us know! We would love to assist you.
Plastic Free Julyread more
A resource for all business typesread more
Reduce the wasteread more
Green Action Centre shares its 2019 wishlist – all of which are totally possible!read more
Give back to the planet this holiday season!read more
Reduce waste and know your ingredients by making your household and hygiene products yourself.read more
Plastic Free July is over, but our challenge to you continues: reduce single-use plastics in your life.read more
As you pack up and head to the beach this summer, reduce your waste and environmental impact with the following tips!read more
By: Tracy Hucul, Executive Director, Green Action Centre We have become quite good at filling up our blue box. We rest a little easier knowing we’re doing the right thing. But do you ever wonder where that plastic in your blue box goes? We tend to not think about...read more
We’re gearing up for Plastic Free July and want to talk about cutting out single-use plastics from your life.read more