Plastic Free July, a campaign that started in Australia but has now gained traction world-wide, challenges people to think about the plastic they use in their own lives and take action to reduce it.
Our challenge to Manitobans throughout July is to:
- Evaluate what kind of single-use plastics you use in your life (bags, packaging, coffee cups, straws, drink bottles)
- Think about ways in which you could move away from using single-use plastics (click here for some ideas)
- Commit to making changes!
Why do we think it’s important to cut down on plastic use?
- Plastic is made from non-renewable fossil fuels
- Plastic can take up to 1000 years to breakdown, and never totally disappears
- Plastic often ends up in our waterways, which is detrimental to marine life
2019 Plastic Free July Events
Plastic Free July Kick-Off Lunch
Location: The Forks Market Plaza
Letter Writing Evening
Your Community + Eco-Centre
Millennium Library – Carol Shields Auditorium
Interested in hosting a Plastic Free July event? Let us know! We would love to assist you.
A recap of Waste Reduction Week 2020 and what to do next.
Lower the impact on the environment, and your wallet!
There are many ways to show love to the plant from home, including learning more about the importance of reducing waste. October 19-25 is Waste Reduction Week - a week to evaluate areas in our lives that are producing the most waste, and find ways to reduce. This...
Going back to school this Fall and need face masks? School supplies? Reusable lunch kits? We’ve got you covered with a whole list of supplies you need to stay Earth-friendly and prepared.
Demystifying the world of alternative plastics: compostable, biodegradable, and more! Plus, our recommendations on how to make better decisions about packaging.
Plastic Free July has come and gone, but your plastic reduction journey doesn’t have to end here.
The month-long challenge to reduce plastic waste is finally here!
More time at home makes for the perfect opportunity to green your cleaning routine. Whether you’re looking for eco-friendly alternatives or to make your own, we’ve got tips to help you out!
Food is an integral part of the holidays. Let’s not waste it!
The month long challenge has come to an end… but the actions don’t have to!