Compost Winnipeg seeks a Compost Courier/Maintenance Worker to collect organic waste on scheduled routes and assist with vehicle and shop maintenance.
DATE POSTED: May 11th, 2021
TITLE: Compost Courier/Maintenance Worker
HOURS: This position is a full-time, 35-40 hours per week, one-year term with the possibility of continued work.
WAGE: $16-18 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 28th, 2021 at 4:30PM.
Compost Winnipeg seeks an independent and responsible individual, to work as a compost collection courier and to assist with maintenance for our growing social enterprise.
Position Description: This position will be responsible for driving and collecting organic waste on scheduled collection routes. They will also be responsible for assisting the Operations Supervisor with truck and site maintenance.
Background: Officially launched in 2016, Compost Winnipeg is an environmentally driven social enterprise with a mission to manage waste responsibly and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Winnipeg by providing fee-for-service organic collections to Winnipeg residents and businesses, thus diverting organic material from the landfill. An estimated 40% of residential and 30% of commercial waste in the landfills is organics, which creates methane, a potent GHG that contributes to climate change. Profits generated by Compost Winnipeg support Green Action Centre’s environmental programs and activities.
Responsibilities: In cooperation with other Compost Winnipeg staff, the Collection and Maintenance Worker has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Safely and efficiently operate a collection truck on scheduled routes
- Pick-up, weigh and track organic waste as it is collected
- Clean and maintain compost collection bins as required
- Actively participate in our efforts to maintain a safe and positive work environment
- Regularly communicate and participate in logistics planning with the Compost Winnipeg staff
- Conduct regular scheduled inspections and maintenance of collection trucks
- Assist with truck and site maintenance which may include: basic welding and metal fabrication, truck fluid changes, simple fixes and other tasks as assigned
Key Qualifications: Must be reliable and able to work without close supervision. Key qualifications include:
- Class 5 drivers license;
- A safe driving record, with a drivers abstract demonstrating little to no infractions
- Organized, punctual, responsible and self-disciplined;
- Good communication and customer service skills;
- Able to work well with others and independently;
- Ability to consistently and safely lift 25 kilograms
- Available for weekend shifts and stat holidays;
- Knowledge of composting or willingness to learn.
- Experience with basic vehicle maintenance including monitoring and changing fluids, battery testing and swapping, basic vehicle inspection, code reading, and wheel swapping
- Training and/or experience with basic steel MIG welding and metal fabrication
- Any other trades-based experience that demonstrate core competencies in general maintenance
- Preference will be given to applicants aged 15 to 29 but is not a requirement.
Diversity and Inclusion
Compost Winnipeg is committed to being an inclusive employer and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
- Indigenous, Black, People of Colour
- Immigrant or refugee
- People with disabilities
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Compost Courier/Maintenance Worker” in the subject line by May 28th, 2021 at 4:30PM.