Green Action Centre seeks Sustainable Transportation Program Coordinator
Title: Sustainable Transportation Coordinator
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Term: 1 full-time position at 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m. CDT on March 16, 2021
Green Action Centre seeks an independent, energetic and well-organized individual to join our sustainable transportation team.
Programs: Sustainable Transportation programs at Green Action Centre include Active and Safe Routes to School, Commuter Challenge, and Workplace Commuter Options.
Position Description: This position will focus on engaging schools, students, workplaces, employees and community organizations to make active and green transportation options both appealing and within reach. The coordinator supports Green Action Centre’s goals of reducing Manitoba’s environmental impacts and related GHG emissions from driving personal vehicles by increasing walking, cycling, public transit and carpooling as preferred and accessible modes of travel.
- Collaborate with schools and other stakeholders to encourage and help implement sustainable school travel, advance related policies, and share resource documents.
- Lead or assist with the following annual sustainable transportation events: Bike to School Month in May, Commuter Challenge in June, Walktober in October, and The Jack Frost Challenge in February.
- Assist with the delivery of our Workplace Commuter Options program (WCO), specifically amplifying our province-wide ridematching tool, GoManitoba.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental, non-profit organization based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools and communities. Our primary areas of focus are green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which collects commercial and residential organic waste in Winnipeg. We are located on Portage Avenue in the heart of downtown, and are part of the EcoCentre on the 3rd floor of the Mountain Equipment Coop building. The EcoCentre is located on Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
In collaboration with the Sustainable Transportation team, the Coordinator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Event Coordination (Bike to School Month, Clean Air Day, Commuter Challenge, Jack Frost Challenge, Walktober):
- Develop event work plans based on the timeline and activities of prior years
- Secure sponsorships, collaborate with event partners, develop and deliver media and promotion strategies, and coordinate event activities, such as media launches and awards presentations
- Recruit and build the number of participating schools and workplaces, including outreach to rural communities to increase participation across Manitoba
- Engage with event participants through provision of resources, training, workshops, promotional ideas, access to supplies or equipment, etc.
- Secure and manage distribution of prizes for participants, including soliciting donations for prizes from local businesses
- Create evaluation tools, such as feedback surveys, and distribute to event participants
- Update related web pages on Green Action Centre’s website and create new content
- Maintain participation and event records.
Communications and Promotion (Workplace Commuter Options and Active and Safe Routes to School):
- Liaise with various committees and working groups and maintain and/or build key relationships with partners at the local, provincial and national levels
- Convene and work with a variety of stakeholders such as parents, teachers & school administrators, engineers & planners, workplace sustainability coordinators and more
- Support the promotion of and increased participation in Green Action Centre’s GoManitoba ridematching app, including contests to increase new users and outreach to increase the number of workplaces with customized sub-sites
- Support monthly communications to schools and educators about Active School Travel, including updated resources and initiatives to support active school travel
- Prepare and/or contribute to writing funding proposals and reports for funders or sponsors
- Manage project or event budgets and monitor expenses to ensure budget is on track
- Work with team to staff displays and deliver presentations as needed
- Contribute to the broader portfolio of Green Action Centre’s work to help Manitobans live green and live well
- Other duties, as assigned
- Strong knowledge of sustainable transportation (green commuting and active transportation)
- Experience working collaboratively, specifically at the community level and/or with non-profits
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in program delivery and/or event planning and project coordination, including budgeting
- Communications experience, including media campaigns and event promotion
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking, and with presentations and displays
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to create compelling and well written materials for various audiences
- Active knowledge and comfort with the use of WordPress and social media
- Above average attentiveness to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player
- Organized, deadline driven and excellent time management skills
- Able to work independently and without close supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Urban Planning, or related field
- Diploma or certificate in creative communications or social media marketing
- Experience in facilitation, partnership development, and working with diverse communities
- Knowledgeable about rural/northern Manitoba communities
- Knowledge of local and provincial sustainability and environmental issues
- Self-driven and proactive; goes the extra distance to get something done
- Professional, punctual, and reliable
- Positive, values driven; inspires others and actions reflect our mission
- Innovative, resourceful and focused on solutions
- Position is based in Green Action Centre’s office at 303 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic this position is currently working remotely and on site as needed.
- Regular office hours, with some evenings and weekends required in times of heavy deadlines or for special events (following public health guidelines).
- Must be comfortable working in an open office environment and spending significant time at a desk and on a computer
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
- Indigenous, Black, People of Colour
- Immigrant or refugee
- People with disabilities
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Position & Application Details
Term: Anticipated start date of April 19, 2021. The position reports directly to Senior Sustainable Transportation Coordinator, and to the Executive Director.
Remuneration: $34,580 to $38,675 per annum based on a 35-hour work week, commensurate with experience. Green Action Centre provides a flexible schedule, includes a Winnipeg Transit EcoPass (or financial equivalent for walking/biking) as part of our “Active Transportation Benefit” policy, and provides a Health & Benefits program (after 3 months employment).
Deadline: 4:00 p.m. CDT on March 16, 2021.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sustainable Transportation Coordinator” in the subject heading. Applications will be accepted until the deadline by email only.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
For more information on Green Action Centre and our programs, please explore our website at www.greenactioncentre.ca.