Green Action Centre Seeks Commercial Driver for Social Enterprise Operations
Green Action Centre seeks an independent and energetic individual who is a professional driver to assist the daily operations of our social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg. This is a new position and the individual will be responsible for operating a Hino 195 truck being added to accommodate our growing operation.
Green Action Centre is a non-profit, non-governmental organization, based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for homeowners, workplaces, schools and communities. Our social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, is a fee for service operation that offers compost collection services to offices, food vendors, institutions and households in Winnipeg.
In cooperation with other Compost Winnipeg staff, the Commercial Driver has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Pick-up, weighing and tracking of organic waste from Compost Winnipeg customers;
- Assistance with ensuring trucks are operated and maintained in accordance with motor vehicle carrier regulations;
- Accurate and regular truck inspections;
- Work in a safe manner at all times, including adherence to Highway Traffic Act and to municipal by-laws;
- Ability to solve problems as they arise while on road;
- Communication of safety concerns;
- General customer service;
- Build positive relationships with staff and customers;
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedures;
- Cleaning and maintenance of compost collection bins as required;
- Transportation of organic waste to composting facilities;
- Promotion of Compost Winnipeg services to potential customers;
- Regular communication and logistics planning with the Compost Winnipeg staff; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
Must be reliable and able to work without close supervision. Key qualifications include:
- Class 5 drivers license (class 3 or 4 preferred);
- Experienced professional driver (at least 4 years) with clean driving record;
- Organized, punctual, responsible and self-disciplined;
- Good communication and customer service skills;
- Able to work well with others and independently;
- Ability to consistently and safely lift 25 kilograms;
- Available to work Monday – Friday 6:00AM – 2:00PM;
- Available for weekend shifts and stat holidays;
- Knowledge of composting or willingness to learn.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Term: This is a full-time, one-year term with the possibility of continued work.
Remuneration: $18 per hour (up to 40 hours per week).
Additional Information: This position reports to the Compost Winnipeg General Manager. A criminal record check and driver abstract (record) will be required.
Deadline: Resume and cover letter must be received no later than 11:59PM CDT Sunday March 22, 2020.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter via email: email@example.com