Tuesday, November 27th is Giving Tuesday.
Giving Tuesday was originally created by a group of NGO’s, including Canadahelps.org as a counterpoint to Black Friday (the busiest day of the shopping season), and ‘Cyber Monday’ (also see counterpoint ‘Buy Nothing Day‘). It’s easy to get swept up in all of the spending this time of year, but it’s important to remember that there are many ways to give. Here at Green Action Centre we want to share with you some of the many ways of giving that not only don’t harm the environment, but may also do good for it.
“We have two days that are good for the economy. Now we have a day that is good for the community too.” – Giving Tuesday’s website.
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is an opportunity for all Canadians to give back to their community. It is a charitable movement aimed at bettering our community in a number of ways, and Canadians are asked to give back however they can. This may be through monetary donations, but both Giving Tuesday organizers and Green Action Centre recognize that this may not be an option for everyone. You can give to our environment through actions as well.
Some actions for you to consider on Giving Tuesday to Give to the Environment:
- Donate to Green Action Centre
- Click here to make a year-end charitable donation
- All donations over $10 are eligible for a charitable tax receipt
- Become a member of Green Action Centre ($20)
- Members receive voting privileges at our AGM and discounts at our events
- Find ways to reduce your waste
- Wondering where to start? We’ve written 150+ blog posts about waste reduction. Click here to learn more.
- Choose sustainable commuting options
- This includes walking, biking, bussing, carpooling, and more. Wondering how to get started? Check out GoManitoba.
- Share important posts and messages from causes you care about
- Educate your friends and family about why caring for the environment is important
- Give your time
- Volunteerism is a key asset to many non-profits. Green Action Centre is no exception. Our organization is run by a volunteer board, and calls upon its many other volunteers to assist us in reaching our mission of promoting greener and better living here in Manitoba. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get more involved in our organization.
- Looking for other volunteer opportunities? Visit goodwork.ca
Wondering how your contribution to Green Action Centre helps the environment?
Green Action Centre’s programs work with individuals, businesses, and schools to explore and share real, tangible, ways of greening their lives and communities. Our programs focus on Sustainable Transportation and Waste Reduction. We provide useful tips and resources on how to incorporate green strategies into your day to day lives at home, work and/or at school through hosting events, providing hands on resources, engaging with our community providing real life solutions to some of the worlds biggest problems. You can learn more about the awesome work we do by exploring our website and reading our latest annual impact report from the 2017-2018 year.
Thinking of ways to make a financial contribution on Giving Tuesday?
- If you are in the service industry, consider donating half of your tips on Giving Tuesday
- Challenge your coworkers to pool cash donations and reward them with baked goods
- Instead of purchasing holiday gifts for loved ones, consider making a one time cash donation to a charity in their name
- Share your giving with all your networks by using #GivingTuesdayCa on your social network of choice to help bolster this important movement – giving can be very contagious
- Have your office give up their daily coffee/tea regime and donate the money saved