The Jack Frost Challenge has something for everyone; teachers, parents, and kids!
For the first time ever, we are collaborating with the Active and Safe Routes to School team to deliver programming for kids at school and at home.
Jack Frost Challenge for Teachers
During the week of Jack Frost Challenge, February 3-9, 2019, there are a number of opportunities to engage your classroom and school in winter activities.
- Register with your classroom
- Register students, track their kilometres, log information online using the ‘bulk entry’ function
- Encourage kids to register with their families
- Provide Jack Frost Challenge materials for kids to bring home, and include information in school newsletters and social media
- Register for Winter Walk Day or Winter Bike to School Day and coordinate events at your school (idea: reward the walkers with some hot chocolate when they arrive!)
Wednesday, February 6th, 2019 is Winter Walk to School Day!
Winter Walk Day is celebrated by schools across Canada on the first Wednesday of February each year. Walking and wheeling to and from school is fun every day, so we encourage kids to journey outside throughout the entire month of February!
Friday, February 8th, 2019 is Winter Bike to School Day!
Winter Bike Day aims to demystify the practice of winter cycling and create awareness that ordinary kids can ride their bicycles to school year round. It is safe, healthy, fun, and not as extreme as many people think. Time to show the adults how it is done!
Jack Frost Challenge for Parents
This challenge is for ALL Manitobans, of ALL ages. During the week of Jack Frost Challenge, February 3-9, 2019, there are a number of opportunities to engage your kids in winter activity.
- Register as a family
- Register as a family to enjoy outdoor winter activities and get in those kilometres together. Try new things, visit new places, and have some good ol’ family time.
- Coordinate or participate in Winter Walk & Bike to School Days
- Parent Councils can be so important! If you can’t organize an event, simply get your kids to school on foot or by bike, even if it means dropping them off just a block further away.
Jack Frost Challenge for Kids
The Jack Frost Challenge has a goal of 130 kilometres of activity for up to 5 persons, but that’s a tall order for little legs. That’s why our Active and Safe Routes to School team is providing kids with their very own prize category. You could win ice cream, books, and a trip to the zoo; which means taking part in Jack Frost Challenge brings you even more fun!
- Register as a family of up to 5 and input the ages of children under 14 in order to qualify. Children under the age of 14 should aim to reach 13 kilometres during the week. If they walk, bike, ski, snowshoe, or skate, they will be well on their way to reaching it! Just think of it as 13 kilometres of fun.
- Come on out to our scheduled events throughout the week for lots of family fun.
- Take part in the fun events happening at school, like Winter Walk & Bike to School Days
If you want to participate, but aren’t sure how to, feel free to reach out to the Sustainable Transportation Team at Green Action Centre!