Are you taking the 1% electricity challenge? (Read about the challenge here) Here are some easy tips to help you cut your electricity use:
- Switch over a conventional light bulb to a CFL – (but remember to recycle them)
- Retire your extra refrigerator
- Attach electronics to power bars
- Get a drying rack or clothes line
- Use tumble dryer balls to reduce drying time
- Turn off lights not in use
- Only fill your kettle with enough water for the drinks that you are making
- Use a microwave for reheating
- Replace appliances with Energy Star recommended products
- Change your air filters regularly, reducing strain on the electric fan on your furnace
- Unplug your cell phone charger
- Turn down water heater temperature to 50 C
- Insulate your water heater and hot water pipes
- Get Manitoba Hydro’s water saver kit. Reducing water consumption also saves electricity.
- Turn off your dishwasher’s drying cycle to allow dishes to air dry.
- Send us your suggestions to this list!
Sign our petition to Manitoba Hydro CEO, Scott Thomson.