Taking the bus is an inexpensive and easy way to get around. If you haven’t tried it in a while, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by all the new features. It’s time to try transit!
- Brandon Transit
- Selkirk Transit
- Thompson Transit
- Transit App: This app works in cities across North America to link you with local transportation options, including bike share! For apple and android.
- Winnipeg Transit
Discover how the bus ride can offer you more time just for you!
Many buses now have easy access low-floor entry and air-conditioning to keep you cool. Digital “Next Stop” displays on all buses make it easy to get off at the right stop. Real-time electronic display boards at major bus stops let you know when your next bus is coming.
Now with Peggo, there is no need to get a new bus pass each month or individual tickets – just load up what you need online or at designated outlets! Here’s some frequently asked questions regarding the Peggo card.
PLAN YOUR TRIP
Avoid waiting for your bus – get info before you go! Navigo is Winnipeg Transit’s award-winning online trip planner. Type in where you’re starting from and where you want to go then let Navigo do the rest. You’ll get up to five options including routes and schedules with a detailed map to show you where to go.
Call Telebus at 204-287-7433 anytime for automated schedules for a specific bus stop. You can also still pick up a pocket timetable at any Winnipeg library branch or Winnipeg Transit kiosk.
New technology features include BUStxt (287898), which provides real-time transit information using the texting features of your mobile device. Text to find out the nearest stop, bus schedules or when your bus is expected to arrive. Check out the BUStxt user guide online at Winnipeg Transit.
SAVE MONEY WITH AN ECOPASS
Workplaces that sign on to Winnipeg Transit’s EcoPass program can offer a discounted monthly bus pass to their employees. Your company decides on the amount of discount to offer – from 5% to 100%. Winnipeg Transit rebates a portion of this discount back to your company and the employee pays the balance. For many companies, the EcoPass is less than the cost of providing free or subsidized employee parking.
Winnipeg Transit has found that at participating employers, transit ridership was up 45% within 30 months after the program had begun. (Transport Canada, “EcoPass: Employer-Sponsored Transit Passes” case study, 2004)
PARK & RIDE
If you live outside Winnipeg or far from bus connections, consider booking a parking spot at one of Winnipeg Transit’s designated parking lots and riding the rest of the way. Save money on parking and avoid the stress of rush hour traffic. Visit our Park and Rides page for a full list of locations.
GIVE ME SHELTER
If the stop near your workplace does not have a shelter, try contacting Winnipeg Transit to see if the stop is busy enough to warrant one. Or an employer may choose to arrange to provide a shelter to support their employees who take the bus to work.
HOP ON A FREE DOWNTOWN SPIRIT
Take a free ride on one of the three Downtown Spirit bus routes to major destinations in the downtown area. Run a few errands over lunchtime or try out a new restaurant that’s further from your office.
TIPS TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL TRANSIT EXPERIENCE
- Be willing to try a few different times at first. You may find the bus is very full at one point, but 15 minutes earlier or later might mean more comfort. Talk to your workplace about starting a bit earlier or later to accommodate an ideal transit time.
- Be productive … or not! With laptops and smartphones, this might be an excellent time to catch up on emails. Or, use this time to put the technology away and take out a book, or listen to a podcast while staring out the window.
- App that trip. Try out an app, like Transit, that gives you real-time countdowns to when the next bus will arrive at your stop.
- Be a good neighbour. If you see an elderly person, parent with young children, or individual with special needs, be a good neighbour and offer them a seat. Also leave space around you for others to sit.
- Say hi to your driver when you board! Being kind to others will lead to you having a more enjoyable experience as well.