We know that teachers are instrumental in establishing healthy and sustainable habits, but we also know that time is limited. We want to make it easy for you! In addition to these in-class activities and handouts, we have comprehensive services for schools, from presentations on active travel to full compost bin set-up for your school.
- Composting Basics and Getting Started
- Composting FAQs
- Composting Paper
- Dealing with Pests in your Compost
- Harvesting/Using Vermicompost
- Harvesting/Using Your Compost
- How to Compost all Winter
- How to Vermicompost
- School Composting
- School Composting Tips
- Vermicompost FAQs
- When to Harvest your compost – Spring or Fall
- Winter composting – To layer or not to layer?
- Why compost at School?
Greening the Classroom. From hands-on projects to personal responsibility, the tips, projects, and concepts outlined in this guide take a community-based approach to learning about environmental issues.
School Services. Composting, biking, walking, professional development. We can help you reach your ESD goals.
Master List of Resources. Ideas for action, hot topics, and ideas on how to live greener. Appropriate for many ages.
Environmental ABC’s. Environment-themed words for every letter of the alphabet.
Curriculum Tie-Ins By Subject
Active Travel Events
- How to plan an active travel event—First time tips, “plan an event in 7 days”, and putting on events that include all students
- Elementary and Middle School event ideas
- High School Event Ideas
- Interactive Event Poster—Use stickers to show how students are getting to school each day
- Design your own bike!
- Design your own shoe!
- Design your own helmet!
- Riding a bike is fun!
- It’s Cool to Walk to School
- Idle Free Zone
Using Observations and Numbers
- Neighbourhood Walkability Audit. Take a tour of your community with your class to see how walkable the
- BikeWalkRoll – Our
30 secondclassroom surveys help everyone understand how students travel to school across Manitoba. To complete a survey on BikeWalkRoll, simply ask the students in your class how they traveled to school, and record the various modes of transportation.
- CounterPoint – Designed to count bicycles, pedestrians and all forms of traffic, for better planning. Counting traffic is a normal part of planning transportation, but right now, not everyone gets counted. We are changing that. Get your class involved in counting all the different transportation modes around the school
- Walking and Cycling Safety Tips for Kids — Share these tips with parents and students to help them feel more comfortable with not driving to school.
- Why Walk to School with Your
Kid — Kidsaren’t the only ones who can benefit from walking to school
Spark Conversation in the Classroom
- Active School Travel Calendar. Find ways for your class to
celebrate allyear long with this Active School Travel Calendar.
- Anti-Idling Video — Our friends at Climate Change Connection made this 3-minute video about why Manitobans should turn off their cars when idling, especially around schools. Starring students from Rockwood School in Winnipeg.
- Bike Trivia — Fun facts about bike history, safety, and achievements