Frolic in the snow and celebrate winter Manitoba-style!
Sign up your team of 1-5 people to skate, bike, ski, snowshoe, run or walk a combined total of 130 km the week of February 12-18, 2017.
Saturday: WRAP UP PARTY 4pm-6:30pm
February 18th at the Forks
Saturday, February 18th from 4:00pm-6:30pm @ The Forks.
Stop by our table before, during or after you log your last Kms of the challenge! We’ll be set up next to the Actif Epica folks by the old train cars at the North entrance to the forks market. We’ll also be cheering on the participants of Actif Epica, a gruelling 130 km winter bike ride across the prairies, whose finish line is at the forks the same day.
New this year: Free 5$ voucher for the first 50 registered Jack Frost participants who join us! You can use it at The Common for an alcoholic beverage (18+) or within the Food Hall for something non-alcoholic or a light snack. You need to be fully registered and tracking KMs during the week to be eligible – bring I.D. if you can.
Use #JackFrostChallenge online to tag your posts and get entered to win sweet prizes.
Support the FUNdraiser for Green Action Centre!
In addition to getting active and having fun outside, we are asking that participants help us raise funds for Green Action Centre and be entered to win even more prizes! This helps to ensure we can continue to provide valuable services across the province for many years to come. Collecting money is not required to participate but if you are interested please download a pledge form and collect funds from your family and friends!
There will be two fundraising-specific prizes awarded to the Top Fundraiser and another for the Fundraiser Jackpot. The Top Fundraiser will choose between either a 25$ Gift Card to MEC or Green Action Centre Necklace from Hilary Druxman (fundraisers choice) and they will also be given special recognition at our Commuter Challenge awards June. Any individual that raises over 50$ will be entered into a draw to win our Fundraiser Jackpot for the same prize (MEC Gift Card or Green Action Centre Necklace).
Record your Kilometres and win awesome prizes!
If you aren’t motivated by the inherent joy that comes from being outdoors with friends, you can also participate for materialistic reasons! Our awards and prizes this year include:
- Most Kilometres logged – Group Prize
- 1 hour skiing or snowboarding lesson for your team at Springhill Winter Sports Park (value 260$)
- Most Kilometres logged – Individual Prize
- Book package from local authors c/o Great Plains Publications (Value 115$)
- Best Frosty Face
- Two 10-day passes to Festival Du Voyageur (value 68$)
- This year we’ve partnered with @FrostyFaceWpg and challenge you to post a picture of your frostiest face that you earned from being outside. Not sure what we mean? Look up @FrostyFaceWpg to see great examples for you to strive towards! Tag #JackFrostChallenge and #FrostyFaceWpg. Winner selected by the Frosty Face experts.
- Best Team Name
- Package of winter hats, mitts, headbands and winter gear (Value 60$)
- Decided by popular vote after the challenge is over
- Family Fun
- We’re giving out 5 Fort Whyte Alive family passes! Any registered participant who posts a photo or emails a photo of their family enjoying a winter activity together will be eligible to win. Liz@greenactioncentre.ca
- Social Media Spirit Award
- MyFarmersMarket.com – 50$ Gift Certificate to use online
- This prize is awarded to an individual who supplies both high quality photos and highest quantity of posts. 50% weighted to the total amount of online interactions you have with us leading up to and during the challenge by tagging @GreenActionCtr or using #JackFrostChallenge on IG, Facebook or Twitter. The other 50% is judged by good old fashion bias. Fav posts chosen by Green Action Centre staff. Remember to make your posts public so we can see them!
Join Green Action Centre at our events!
Check back here or follow our Facebook event to get updates on added events. Below we have some suggested activities for themed days to help get you moving. You can also check out our blog post for more winter tips and resources.
As we do every year, we’re hosting several events that we hope you’ll join us at! This year we are also challenging you to challenges within the challenge! Some have called it ‘Jack Frost Inception’… No, no one has called it that yet but that’s basically what it is. Post a pic of you taking on these challenges throughout the week outdoors with the hashtag #JackFrostChallenge and tag @GreenActionCtr so you have the chance to win sweet prizes throughout the week! Feel free to take or leave these theme day suggestions or swap the days – just get moving and log the kilometres for your team!
Sunday: Jack Frost Challenge Kick Off | February 12th 11am – 3pm @ The Forks
>> Free hot chocolate and skates to the Legislature with Green Action staff.
>> Find the Green Action Banner on the path by the Snofas (snow sofas) on the steps down to the river trail. Watch Terra the Frog make his foray into embracing winter for yet another year! Looking forward to seeing you!
Monday: Glide into the week
>> Sharpen those skates! We challenge you to put metal to ice and track some Kilometers on skates today! Don’t you know the river trail is open?! For a list of great places to skate, read our blog post.
Tuesday: Skis, please. Snow, please.
>> Commuter Challenge coordinator Liz Shearer will be snowshoeing from 11:30am-12:30pm with the UofM Sustainability Office. Check out all of their unique events throughout the week here.
>> Join Green Action Centre’s Justin Quigley at the Harbourview Trail at 5:15pm for a group ride.
>> Check out our Jack Frost Challenge blog post for info on where to rent the right gear
Wednesday: Get Schooled.
>> Calling all classrooms! Spend some time outdoors and tag #JackFrostChallenge and @GreenActionCtr on social media so we can see all the fun you’re having. Tag a nearby school to challenge them to get out there, too! Can you log more KMs than your buddy from another school?
>> Download this winter scavenger hunt and get outside together!
Thursday: Team up!
>> Why don’t you air out those Thursday blues with your pals around the office? Post a pic of your team out in nature for your lunch hour or break #JackFrostChallenge
Friday: Chill Out.
>> What’s the rush? Why don’t you walk to work today or get off the bus early and soak up some cool air for a few blocks before you get to your desk?
> 7am-10am Breakfast on Ice with Festival Du Voyageur. Join us for a special celebration for all the skaters, bikers, walkers, runners and skiers who use the river trail as part of their morning commute and also for all the folks who just like to celebrate a Winnipeg winter.
Saturday: WRAP UP PARTY 4pm-6:30pm | February 18th at the Common (indoors) at the Forks
Saturday, February 18th from 4:00pm-6:30pm @ The Forks.
Stop by our table before, during or after you log your last Kms of the challenge! We’ll be set up next to the Actif Epica folks by the old train cars at the North entrance to the forks market.
>> We’ll also be cheering on the participants of Actif Epica, a gruelling 130 km winter bike ride across the prairies, whose finish line is at the forks the same day.
New this year: Free 5$ voucher for the first 50 registered Jack Frost participants who join us! You can use it at The Common for an alcoholic beverage (18+) or within the Food Hall for something non-alcoholic or a light snack
* * * * *