The Active and Safe Routes to School (ASRTS) Program Handbook and Resource Guide is available in hard copy to Manitoba schools and communities at no charge.
Ordering: To receive a hard copy, please complete and submit this form.
To download the handbook in French, please click here/ Pour télécharger ce guide en francais, cliquez ici s’il vous plait
To download the ASRTS Program Handbook and Resource Guide by chapter, along with the resources referenced in each chapter, click on the appropriate title below. Some of the files are large and may take a few moments to download to your computer.
Many of the downloadable documents need to be viewed in Adobe Acrobat – you can download it for free here. The rest are in MS Word format, which is compatible with most word processors. If you don’t have MS Word, click here to download the MS Word viewer.
Chapter 1 – How to Use this Guide
Chapter 2 – Introduction
Chapter 3 – Making the Case
Chapter 4 – Implementation
4.1 Special Events (IWALK Month, Clean Air Day)
- Sample media release and backgrounder, pages 26-27
- Sample radio public service announcements, page 29
- Sample feedback form, page 32
- Sample tally sheet, page 33
- Clean Air Day – Walk to School 2010 poster competition notice
- Walking Wednesdays Club flyer, pages 36-37
- Sample Walking Wednesdays Club poster, page 38
- 23 quick ideas for your Walking Wednesdays Club, pages 40-42
- Luggage tag for Walking School Bus participants, page 55
- Letter, flyer and sign-up sheet, pages 56-58
- The Top 10 reasons to Have a Walking School Bus, page 59
- Sample newsletter article, page 61
4.4 Walking Buddies
4.8 Idle-Free Zones
Chapter 5 – Evaluation
- Parent transportation survey, page 83
- Student transportation survey, page 87
- Sample walkability survey (Green Communities Canada), pages 88-89